The Built Environment Showcase (BES)
Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center,
Michigan State University, 219 S. Harrison Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
Facts and Data
Built Environment Impact
Few realize the over-arching effect of the Built Environment industry. Its annual impact on the State of Michigan:
- Provides more than 400,000 jobs in more than 62,000 firms
- More than $133 billion in direct revenues.
- Interior Design Services constitutes $220 million of the Michigan economy.
- Landscape Architectural Services employs 1,999 people.
- About 8,484 MI businesses employ 35,485 people in Single-Family, Industrial, Commercial and Institutional Construction.
- There are 887 businesses in MI providing Architectural Services. These Small Businesses average about seven employees each.
Traditional practice has focused on activities specific to a firm but the future hinges on collaboration and cooperation. New practices, such as Integrated Project Design and Sustainable Construction, are changing the way business is done. The development of energy efficient and sustainable Built Environments has become a primary concern. The need for members of the industry to have the opportunity to come together to share their concerns and best practices has never been more important. The following is the forecast of the national economic impact of Green building from 2009-2013:
- Generates an additional $554 billion in Gross Domestic Product.
- Support more than 2.4 million jobs.
- Provide $396 billion in labor earnings.